There are two primary ways to migrate from Magento to Shopify
Migrate to Shopify from Magento using a plugin
Migrating to Shopify from Magento using a plugin is about find the right app (at the right price) for your store. There are a few apps to choose from, we recommend you find the app you like by starting with the Shopify app store.
Migrate to Shopify manually with a migration checklist
Even if you are using an app to migrate, you may want to double-check your store and this Magento to Shopify checklist can help you do that.
Remember you can build your new Shopify store completely in staging, and check everything is correct before you are the last step of directing customers to your new store.
- Test your checkout completely as the priority! You don’t want to switch your website to Shopify until you have checked out with a real test order. Keep Https or add it if you don’t have it.
- Check key visual assets: theme, marketing banners, product images
- Key pages: about us, contact, privacy, and at least 1 link to all of your product pages.
- Analytics & tracking pixels: are all your pixels in place from Facebook, Pinterest, Google Tags?
- Feature plan: have a feature checklist from your old website to new – was chat really important? Don’t migrate without a plan for it.
- Migrating customers? Be sure to copy over all relevant customers, at least those from the last year to Shopify.
- Create a backup of your inventory file, if you were managing inventory directly in Magento be sure to familiarize yourself with the process in Shopify.
- Have a fallback plan if something goes wrong, don’t force your website offline for unplanned maintenance if you don’t have to.
- Have a mapping of all your pages that are getting SEO traffic or traffic from other sources – test these after the migration to see that they load and/or the appropriate 301 redirect is placed.
- Audit your website after launch, ideally have many people participate and pay extra attention to customer feedback.
- Have a reporting plan in place to monitor for changes in traffic and revenue.